So last year, just after Christmas, I decided that I wanted to do something a little different for Christmas this year. I thought if I could collect 1,000 items during the year, I could donate them to a nearby shelter for Christmas. I set a $500 budget for myself, and began Project Santa.
Throughout the year, I picked up free or close-to-free items to add to the Project Santa stash. I spent less than $200, and I have WELL over 1,000 items. Exciting!
Now that it’s December, I have an actual list of kids who’ll be in the shelter on Christmas. I plan to put together a stocking and a stack of gifts for each of them. Sewing the stockings was interesting – it’s a good thing stockings can have a “rustic” look.
If you live in the Boston area and would like to contribute something to Project Santa, you can! I am happy to pick it up from you, or tell you where you can drop it off. I need any and all donations by December 21st. We would like new and like-new items only, except where used items are specified.
Here’s what we are looking for! These donations will provide Christmas for 15 families at a local shelter.
- Cleaning supplies (laundry soap, dish soap, household cleaner)
- Household paper goods (paper towels, tissues, toilet paper)
- Diapers (larger sizes needed most)
- Underwear and bras (larger sizes needed most, adult and child)
- Socks, robes, pajamas, and slippers (gently used OK)
- Little People toys
- Size 2T and 3T boys clothing
- Baby puzzles
- Size 6, 10, and 16 boys jeans
- Sports items (especially Patriots)
- Pajamas and shirts for 11-year-old boy
- Itunes gift card
- Walmart gift card
- Barbie doll and accessories
- 18-month-size girl clothes
- Picture books with sound
- Size M girls pajamas
- Monster High dolls
- Size 16 girls jeans
- 7th grade reading level books (girl)
- Justin Beiber perfume
- Size 10 slim jeans (juniors)
- Size 6 women’s sneakers and womens size M shirts (for teen girl)
- Size 7 juniors pants and size 7 boots/shoes (for teen girl)
- Size M winter jacket, size M shirts and sweaters (for teen girl